Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Very Good Day and a Visit From Patrick Henry

Three things are needed for a good life:

Good friends, good food, and good song.

-Jason Zebehazy

Today was a very good day. Although there were a few glitches at co-op, as in - we may be losing a teacher - aaargh - the rest of the day went pretty well.

We were graced with the presence of Mr. Patrick Henry - straight in from 1775. He gave a rousing rendition of his famous speech to the House of Burgesses, ending with the ever famous, ever inspiring "I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me LIBERTY or give me DEATH!"

I never cease to be tremendously moved upon hearing that speech. It amazes me of the timelessness of the things he said and how appropriate things he said are to the times in which we live. Truly - these are the times that try men's souls. Ever since Sept.11, I have been often reminded of the sacrifices that were made so that we can enjoy the liberty we now enjoy and so often take for granted. It is one thing to be willing to sacrifice yourself in the cause of liberty, but another thing all together to be willing to sacrifice your son, your child, to the cause of liberty, which so many of our founding fathers had to be willing to do - to sacrifice their prosperity, their posterity, their security and their very lives - in the cause of liberty.

So, on another momentous occasion, did our Father sacrifice his own Son, so that we may have true liberty, true freedom. Tonight, I am very concious of the debt I owe for my own freedom and that of my family.

Tonight, I have a friend in Afghanistan - working for the liberty of that people - true liberty. At the risk of her very life. May God protect her and give her grace. Amen.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

You should get Brenda, Diana, and Patty on here. Community is what makes these things rewarding.