Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Recovery Wednesday


Today is what is affectionately called "recovery Wednesday" around here. There is lots of sighing and breathing and trying to chill out after Tuesday. I've been distinctly feeling like I must do something creative, so I've noodled and doodled with my new altered book and with my new scrapbook pages about my son's music and his performances this summer at Coffee Chaos. I've enjoyed trying to put together a "rugged, masculine" page that won't embarrass him, but that will do justice to his music, so we'll see how it all turns out.

Sitting around with my feet propped up in front of the computer, browsing throught lots of scrapbooking pages for ideas, can be pretty relaxing. I've given up cooking for Lent - oh yeah, I'm not Catholic and I guess Lent's over , but my hiatus from cooking is not. Jess is sick with a cold and Kate has the day off from activity, it's dreary out and Ron is out of town, so today has been a rather atypical kick-back day. Wish I could have a bushel of these, all in a row.

I find myself thinking about my Dad a lot lately. Guess with the old home place up for sale, it keeps him in the forefront of my mind. I hope to do a tribute album to him someday - if I ever get time to focus on that. He was a truly great man - one of a kind - unique, you might say. And never again will another pass this way that is quite like him. He was my hero, my inspiration, and my biggest fan, and I truly miss him every day. I could really use a good dose of his wisdom about now. So many things I could ask him - I've made so many mistakes over the years, and I guess you can't undo them, just hope for grace to get you through.

One of my favorite sayings of his was "I only have two speeds, and if you don't like this one, you're sure not going to like the other one." He took life at a slower than usual pace. He always took time for people - time to stop and ask how they were - really. And then to even listen to their answers.

So - here's to my Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog about Uncle Rab. I could not agree more and I thank you for making my day.

James Keith