Saturday, February 28, 2009

LOVE & Jerry


"Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Matthew 22:37-39


This Bible verse has been coming up in my life over and over again since Jerry died. Most of us that knew him agreed that his life beautifully illustrated these verses in the way he lived his daily life. Not that he was perfect, but he really did this well. He loved his Lord first of all, then his wife and his boys and then his fellow man. He invested so much into those people around him and never seemed to get too flustered by the humanness of it all and by the chaos and pain that was involved in working with people. His example was so encouraging to us all. And now that he is gone, many of us are attempting to take up the torch and live more like Jerry did.

It seems sort of interesting to me how often these verses keeps coming up. It was in the One Year Bible Blog Daily Bible study today. Thew were the theme verses for the ladies retreat that K and I went to last weekend. I've heard it on the radio, read it in books, heard it in sermons......So do you think the Lord might be trying to tell me something? I believe I need to listen closely and meditate on these verses daily. It is often difficult to love the unlovely! I do pretty well on my friends and family - it is the other people out there that I come in contact with that challenge me daily. I pray that I can be more intentional about this as I go through my daily life.

No comments: